- Thorpe Gordon Elementary
As announced on Monday, April 27th, the Jefferson City School District will be offering 2020 summer school through a virtual platform instead of in buildings. We will be partnering with Launch, which has a rigorous curriculum that is aligned to the Missouri Learning Standards, is currently used by 270 districts across the State of Missouri, and is staffed by certified educators who live and work in partner districts.
Thank you for enrolling your student in the JC Schools Summer School partnership with Launch! Launch has a rigorous curriculum that is aligned with the Missouri Learning Standards, is currently used by 270 districts across the State of Missouri, and is staffed by certified teachers who live and work in partner districts.
Please take some time to review the Launch Student-Parent Guide. This guide provides many more details including how to navigate the Launch platform, what to do prior to the first day of summer school, and how to be a successful online learner. We have included some additional information below:
What is the Launch summer school schedule?
- Launch will begin on Wednesday, June 3rd and runs Monday - Friday. The final day of summer school is Tuesday, June 30th.
- There are no set class times for Launch - student learning is self-directed and self-paced.
- Teachers will prepare a daily video to share with students, and students are able to engage in their learning activities at their own convenience. Teachers are also available for set “office hours” during which they respond to student or parent questions via email or video conferencing.
When will I get more details about summer school?
- Launch will email all parents of students entering grades 1-12 a day or two before classes get started on June 3rd. This email will be sent to the primary email account on record in Infinite Campus and will include log-in information and other details about your student’s courses. An email will also be sent directly to students in grades 6-12 via their jcschools email address.
- Launch will also provide an “Observer” account, assigned to the parent who enrolled each student, where you can track and monitor your student’s assignments and progress.
- We strongly encourage you to practice logging in prior to the first day to work through any kinks.
- All Launch teachers will make contact with a Welcome Call to their students to introduce themselves.
- Launch uses a platform called Canvas to share information, messages and assignments. Students should learn how to check their Canvas inbox, watch the introduction announcement, and familiarize themselves with the assignment process on Day #1.
- For those students entering grades 9-12 who enrolled in Physical Education, a Garmin device will be issued to you for this course. These devices will be available for pick-up at Capital City High School or Jefferson City High School on Monday, June 1. Students will receive specific details on time and location directly from their guidance counselor via their jcschools email address.
What if I have trouble logging in or other technical issues?
- Students and parents can access Launch technical support in three different ways:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Support staff answers email between 7:30AM-8:00PM on weekdays and 10:00AM-2:00PM on weekends. Students can typically expect to receive an answer within half an hour.
- Use your Canvas inbox to send a message to HELP. A Launch support staff member will get back to you as soon as possible.
- Call the Launch office at (417) 523-0417. The Launch office is open 7:30AM-8:00PM Monday through Friday.
Please take some time to review the Launch Student-Parent Guide. This guide provides many more details including how to navigate Canvas and the Launch platform, what to do prior to the first day of summer school, and how to be a successful online learner.
While we are disappointed we will not get to see your student in person for summer school this year, we are excited about our partnership with Launch, and we believe this will be a positive and beneficial experience for you and your student!
- Students entering grades 1-5 at the start of the 2020-2021 school year will receive engaging, theme-focused instruction via the “Your National Park Adventure” June course.
MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS
- Students entering grades 6-8 at the start of the 2020-2021 school year can select up to two courses, in order of your preference, from the Summer Enrichment offerings.
- Students identified as being in need of additional support in math or reading based on previous assessments may be recommended for enrollment in a math or reading course by their building principal or teacher. This would replace one of the two enrichment courses.
HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
- LAUNCH: Students entering grades 9-12 at the start of the 2020-2021 school year can select up to two 0.5 credit courses from seven course options.
- Edgenuity (E2020): Students entering grades 10-12 at the start of the 2020-2021 school who are looking to make up credit or finish an active E2020 course will have the opportunity to continue doing so through summer school. You will not enroll through Launch for these courses, instead, please contact your high school counselor.
- Devices will be available for students entering grades 1 & 2 who did not receive a device at the start of the COVID-19 closure. Once summer school enrollment is completed, school buildings will be in touch with families to provide details on how these devices can be obtained.
- Students entering grades 3-12 will keep their school-issued devices to use for summer school or continued learning opportunities.
- JC Schools will continue our Mission Nutrition program throughout the month of June, including Grab ‘N Go meals at eight schools and meal delivery to bus stops across the district.
- Elementary: Sheila Weber via email (email@example.com) or phone (573-659-3015)
- Middle School: Gabrielle Foster via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (573-659-3743)
- High School: CCHS - Tim Ritter (email@example.com), JCHS - Carrie Welch (firstname.lastname@example.org)
INCOMING KINDERGARTEN STUDENTS (2020-2021)
- Families with incoming kindergarten students will complete summer school enrollment when registering for kindergarten with the Welcome Center.
- Unfortunately, the Launch summer school platform is only offered for students who will be entering grades 1-12. This means that we will not have a summer school option available for incoming kindergarten students during the month of June. However, we are exploring ideas for pre-K students later in the summer. As soon as we have information on when these events will be held we will contact families with more details.
JEFFERSON CITY AREA FAMILIES (Non-Public School Students)
- Non-Public Summer School Online Registration Link (non-public students must complete registration with JC Schools prior to registering with Launch)
- Non-Public 2020-2021 K-8th Grade Enrollment Information
- Non-Public 2020-2021 9th-12th Grade Enrollment Information