- Jefferson City School District
JC Schools to Close WED 3/18 - FRI 5/1
Message to JC Schools Families & Staff - 4/1/20, 3:00 pm
Hello JC Schools Families,
We hope you are doing okay amidst the uncertainties this situation has presented for all of us, and that you are surviving the first full week of our COVID-19 closure. We miss seeing your students at school every day!!
With the extension of federal social distancing guidelines, the continued increase in COVID-19 cases across Missouri, and the confirmation from Cole County Health Department officials of community spread in our area, the Jefferson City School District has decided to extend our closure through Friday, May 1st. The earliest JC Schools will reopen is Monday, May 4th.
Our goal in enacting this closure is to assist our community with slowing any transmission of the virus by limiting contact among individuals for this length of time. According to health officials, the practice of social distancing can significantly decrease the ability of a virus to spread and keep those who may be more vulnerable to the illness safe.
This week, JC Schools teachers remain committed to making contact with all of our families to check in and collect more information regarding your prefered educational delivery method, your access to internet at home, and your family’s access to meals at home. This data will help us to ensure we are providing solutions that meet the needs of our students and families.
The district believes it is important to make sure students remain academically focused and engaged during the school closure. We will continue to provide supplemental learning solutions for students to access during this extended closure.
- Additional hard copy materials with work for the week of April 6th-10th will be mailed later this week to PreK-5th grade students and to middle and high school students who have indicated they do not have access to internet at home.
- The district has opened access to Google Hangouts Meet for all district-issued devices to help provide a channel for teachers to communicate with fellow teachers and students.
- All teachers will be available to communicate with students and parent/guardians throughout the extended closure, from 9:00AM-2:00PM, Monday-Friday, via email or other communications methods.
- District and building leaders will continue meeting to prepare additional materials to be sent home to families as needed, with the extension of the closure.
Chromebooks were sent home with students in grades 2-12 on March 17th.
- Families can access tips and tricks for using chromebooks at home HERE.
- If support is needed for your student’s chromebook at home, please access the Device Support Form HERE and someone from the IT Department will be in touch.
- Free Wifi can be accessed on the exterior of all JC Schools buildings. Access points can be viewed HERE.
- You can view a video series on how to use Google Hangouts Meet if invited by your student’s teacher HERE.
- We have instructed teachers to utilize Google Hangout Meet for communication with students, and we are providing tutorials for staff for this purpose. At this time, we are not allowing access to Zoom on student district-issued devices due to potential security concerns with student data as well as Zoom’s Terms of Service concerning children under the age of 18.
We are excited to announce an expansion of our Grab ‘N Go Meals that will be starting on THURS, 4/2/20. The Jefferson City School District is partnering with First Student, our transportation provider, to launch “JC Schools Mission Nutrition.”
- First Student drivers will be delivering meals to stops all across the district at designated times between 10:00AM-1:00PM, MON-FRI.
- Families can pick up meals at ANY bus stop, regardless of where your student attends school. Bus stops are not school specific, but rather designed regionally to include as many high-need areas as possible.
- Grab’N’Go Meals will still be available for pick-up MON-FRI from 11:30AM-1:00PM at eight locations.
- GO HERE TO SEE BUS STOPS FOR MISSION NUTRITION MEAL DELIVERIES
- GO HERE TO SEE LOCATIONS FOR GRAB’N’GO MEAL PICK-UP
- Federal regulations require that students must be present in order to obtain meals.
- Meals are available for all students, ages 2-18.
- Buddy Packs for the weekend will be available on FRI, 4/3 at the Grab’N’Go pick-up locations and at all meal delivery bus stops.
EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
- All school events and other activities, including extra- and co-curricular events, practices and competitions, will be canceled during the time schools are closed.
- The district will care for our staff by ensuring that their pay continues during the extended closure.
- Expectations for all staff categories throughout the closure have been clearly outlined.
**If you have not done so already, please visit our district’s COVID-19 website to access a library of resources for students & families.**
Our public schools serve an important function for many families in our community beyond just educational learning - they are also sources of comfort, routine, support, and nutrition. It is important that we take care of each other and do everything we can to support one another through these uncertain times. Please look out for one another and reach out to your fellow parents, students, staff members, and teachers.
As more information becomes available, and as decisions are made about how best to deliver education throughout this closure, we will be in touch.
Jefferson City School District