- Jefferson City School District
JC Schools Moving Forward with Athletics Facilities
JC Schools Athletics Facilities Projects for CCHS & JCHS
On Monday, December 14th, 2020, the Jefferson City School District received approval from the Board of Education to move forward with the addition and completion of competition athletic facilities at both Capital City and Jefferson City high schools. These projects will ensure facilities are equitable between each campus.
The district is in the process of developing a long-range facilities plan. This process was paused to allow district leaders to develop a plan to safely reopen school amidst COVID-19. The district anticipates bringing a bond issue to address overcrowding in grades PK-8 to the board and voters in 2022.
- The approximately $20 million in projects will be funded through a Certificate of Participation (COP).
- COP financing, secured by lease revenues, is commonly utilized by public municipalities.
- Taking advantage of historically low interest rates, the district will budget $1.5M/year from the capital projects fund over the next 20 years.
PROJECT DETAILS (see renderings below)
- CCHS: Proposition J + C only included practice fields at the newly constructed CCHS. Frugality over the course of the CCHS/JCHS construction & renovation projects allowed the district to reallocate $6-7M to begin finishing facilities at CCHS beyond what was originally planned as practice fields only. An additional $12M will allow for the completion of competition facilities at CCHS, including:
- Construction of pressbox, home & visiting team bleachers, concessions, restrooms, locker rooms for use between football and soccer fields;
- Construction of dugouts, pressbox, concessions, restrooms, and storage areas at the baseball/softball complex;
- Addition of event parking adjacent to soccer/football fields and near tennis courts.
- JCHS: After the May 2019 tornado damaged residences near JCHS, homeowners approached the district about acquiring the properties. An additional $8M will allow for the construction of activities facilities on the JCHS campus on top of the approximately $3M spent to acquire the properties. This will eliminate the use of non-campus athletics facilities across the community, improving safety and efficiency for students and staff. Facilities construction will include:
- Construction of baseball/softball field with dugouts, bullpens, batting cages, and bleachers;
- Construction of press box, concessions, restrooms, and storage facilities for use between fields;
- Construction of a soccer field with lighting and both home and visitor bleachers;
- Construction of a tennis complex including eight tennis courts and pavilion with restrooms, concessions, storage and viewing deck;
- Elevation of visitors bleachers at Adkins Stadium.
- The City of Jefferson recently approved a land swap with JC Schools for property behind Thomas Jefferson Middle School & Lawson Elementary. This will allow for construction of a road from behind TJMS/Lawson to W.Edgewood Dr, easing traffic congestion on S. Country Club Dr ($900K).
- Upon board approval, the district will bid out the construction manager at risk (December 2020).
- Architects will meet with stakeholders to finalize needs (Winter 2021).
- Construction will begin (estimated May 2021).
- Goal is for fields to be playable during the fall 2021 season, although some amenities (bathrooms, locker rooms) may not be fully completed by the start of the 2021-2022 school year.