- Jefferson City School District
JC Schools Summer School 2021 COVID Plan
THE MESSAGE BELOW WAS SENT TO JC SCHOOLS FAMILIES ON FRIDAY 5/14/21 at 2:00PM:
Hello JC Schools Families,
As we approach the end of the 2020-2021 school year we wanted to provide an update on our COVID protocols for summer school, which begins on Monday, June 7th (enrollment details HERE).
Our “Back to JC Schools 20-21 COVID-19 Re-entry Plan” was built around guidance from the Missouri Department of Elementary & Secondary Education (DESE) and Missouri Department of Health & Senior Services (DHSS). You can view their “Reopening & Opening Guidance for K-12 Schools” HERE.
After assessing updated guidance from local, state, and federal healthcare & education experts, we have determined it is safe to make the following changes to our “Summer School 2021 COVID-19 Plan”:
- Students will leave their primary classroom to receive Art, Music, and Library instruction. They will remain in their cohort groups, and the classroom and equipment will be sanitized between classes;
- Some schools will begin allowing students to eat meals in the cafeteria again, within their small groups and while maintaining appropriate social distance to minimize exposure;
- Non-essential furniture and seating can be moved back into the classroom as long as social distancing can be maintained. This does not apply to rugs or couches;
- Schools will no longer monitor thermal cameras at building entrances or scan temperatures in car lines. However, the cameras will stay in place, and building staff will still be notified if a temperature above 100.4 is detected;
- Masks will not be required when students are outside for recess. Students are still encouraged to maintain social distancing, especially while outdoors without masks, and will play in designated zones within their classroom cohort;
- A virtual education option will not be offered directly by JC Schools for summer school. The virtual education application window for the 2021-2022 school year will open in August;
- View the JC Schools Summer School 2021 COVID-19 Plan HERE.
- These changes will be effective beginning Monday, June 7th. The current COVID-19 plan will remain in effect through the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year.
JC Schools will continue to assess local conditions and guidance from state and federal agencies over the next few months to determine whether any further changes will be made to our COVID-19 plan for the 2021-2022 school year. We will strive to provide an update to families by mid-summer.
Yesterday, the CDC issued updated guidance on mask requirements for fully vaccinated individuals. They have not updated their “Operational Strategy for K-12 Schools” yet, nor has DESE/DHSS, but we will watch for any updates and assess accordingly when they are released.
The goal of our COVID-19 re-entry protocols has always been to keep our schools open while proactively mitigating the risk of COVID-19 spreading within our school community. The JC Schools plan has proven to be extremely effective as designed, which has been demonstrated by our ability to remain open all year.
Our guiding principle throughout the entire COVID-19 situation has been, and will continue to be, our commitment to ensuring success for all of our students.
Thank you for standing stronger together with JC Schools!
Jefferson City School District