Welding Technology
    Course Description
    The welding program at Nichols Career Center is a two year program that utilizes American Welding Society standards.  Fundamentals of welding technology will include: shop safety, hand tool identification, welding equipment, rod identification, arc welding skills, brazing, MIG and TIG welding, metal identification, drafting, print reading, and oxyacetylene cutting.  Students will learn to cut, bend, and fabricate class projects and weld them to blueprint specifications, given by the instructor.  Some of these projects will require a partner that will be assigned.
    Students will bend test their welded coupons to AWS welding standards.  They will also perform welding skills that will be related to the welding field.  They will be given an opportinuty to take an industry standard welding test at the end of the school year, for a fee.  This test is done by a certified AWS inspector. 
    This program is based on hands on training.  About 70% of the class time will be spent in the shop area.  The other 30% will be in class.  In class time will be spent participating in print reading, problem solving, math problems, drawings, and discussing welding techniques to repair and fabricate projects.
    Attendance and effort are major factors of the student's grade.
    Welding Careers
    • Welders & Cutters
    • Welding Fitter
    • Sheet Metal Worker
    • Structural Metal Worker
    • Welding Machine Operator
    • Welding Foreman/Management
    • Welding Teacher/Training
    • Welding Sales
    • Certified Welding Inspector
    • Welding Machine Repair
    • Welding Engineer
    Salary Ranges

    Most entry-level welding positions pay $13.00 to $15.00 per hour with the potential to earn up to approximately $40,000 per year or more, at the end of the first year of employment. Some employment opportunities offer even more pay depending on ability and the motivation of the individual.The skill of welding is in high demand.

    You may decide to continue your education. Nichols Career Center has an agreement with State Fair Community College of Sedalia. Students attending this college may earn 4 credit hours for classes already taken at Nichols. Students must earn a "B" or higher in order to receive this credit.

    Additionally, students may choose to enroll in Linn State Technical College for two years and pursue their Associate of Applied Science degree

    Students also may choose to go further and advance their skills with Missouri Welding School in Nevada,Mo., or Tulsa Welding School, in Tulsa, Oklahoma.  
Last Modified on August 26, 2016