Any JCHS student in grades 9-12 has the opportunity to earn the Jay Reader's Award each year. The award will be presented at the Jay Pride awards ceremony at the end of the school year. The award consists of a medal, a certificate, and a copy of the current Gateway Reader's Award Winning Book.
- Students read and review a minimum of four Gateway Award nominees for the current school year.
- Students read and review a minimum of two books (fiction or nonfiction) from the college-bound reading list provided by the JCHS Library or approved by the librarians.
- Students read and review a minimum of four books (fiction or nonfiction) of their choice. Students submit titles prior to reading for approval.
- Students participate in at least two book clubs through the JCHS Library. Books read during book club can count towards the required reading.
- Students meet with the librarians twice during the school year (November and April) to verify reading.
*Required novels for JCHS classes do not apply towards the award.
See a librarian to sign up or get more information.