Any JCHS student in grade 12 has the opportunity to earn a Seal of Excellence in Reading during their senior year. The seal will be presented at the Jay Pride awards ceremony at the end of the school year.
Requirements for the 2019-2020 school year:
- Students read and review five Gateway nominees for the current school year.
- Students read and read four nonfiction books from the college-bound reading list provided by the JCHS Library.
- Students read and review six other novels of their choice.
- Students participate in at least two book clubs through the JCHS Library. Books read during book club can count towards the required reading.
- Students participate in a community service project through either the JCHS Library, Epsilon Beta, or the public library that furthers literacy or service to others, i.e. Reading Buddies Program through MRRL, organizing a charitable drive such as the JCHS Library Giving Tree, a self-directed service project approved by the JCHS Library
*Required novels for JCHS classes do not apply towards the award.
See a librarian to sign up or get more information.